Monday, May 12, 2008

To Start Off

As you will read in my profile, SWRT is an acronym for my main interests. They are Saxophone, Writing, Reading, Tennis. SWRT. I thought it might be appropriate to talk a little bit about these things on my first post.

Saxophone
I currently play the Alto Saxophone in a band. I have been playing for almost three years now and have enjoyed it quite a bit. Right now the band is working on two pieces of literature for a concert coming up. The first is a medley of songs from West Side Story and the other is a P.D.Q. Bach piece called Grand Serenade for an Awful Lot of Winds and Percussion. Both pieces are coming along pretty well and it should be a good concert. If I have time and I can figure it out I will try to record and post a recording of myself playing one of the pieces of solo literature that I have.

Writing
I really enjoy writing intend to do it a little more intensely over the summer, because I haven't had much time lately to do it. I have written a few poems (one of which was published in an anthology), but I also intend to write some short stories soon. At some point I would like to write a novel, so I'll have to get working on that. I think it might be fun to post serial installments of one of the short stories that I have an idea for, it is sort of a murder mystery satire, so it should be fun.

Reading
I have always loved a good story. I read all types of books, but I have a particular affinity for historical fiction. Some of my favorite novels are The Scarlet Pimpernel, King Solomon's Mines, The Giver and many others. I will post other favorites later on in this blog. Feel free to leave the names of your favorite books in the comment section of this or any other post.

Tennis
I am currently playing mixed doubles on a tennis team. It is almost the end of the season so right now we are playing in the district tournament. It is a round robin tournament and has been really fun so far. Today I played three sets and won all of them. Tomorrow we will finish up with the last three sets of the tournament. I will try and keep you posted on all of my progress as well as the competitions I may play in, in the future.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Welcome to the blogging world, Tanner!